Friday, April 16, 2010

The Latest Developments

A lot can change in the small animal room over a couple of days. I didn't post for a week and all this happened!
Rusta is the newest arrival, surrendered by her owners. I will never understand hamster surrenders. Doesn't she have the sweetest face? This hammy is a doll, she's very laid back and easy to handle. We're bringing her to the adopt-a-thon tomorrow and I bet she goes on the first day. Who can resist a friendly, wide-eyed hamster?
I posted the video of Neville yesterday, and it pretty much sums up his personality in a nutshell. Getting to know this little guy has been a lot of fun - he pretty much never stops moving. I hope whoever takes him is either ready to make this guy a house-rabbit, or has a very large pen/cage. We wanted to take Neville to the adopt-a-thon but unfortunately he's not neutered yet. Either way, however, I'm pretty sure he won't take long to find a home.
Speaking of finding homes, Mr Guiners has been adopted! I'm surprised it took so long, because he was a very sweet pig. I have no idea who it was, but hopefully they'll take good care of him!

He's not the only one - my little girls have been adopted! Marmalade went home yesterday and Honey went home today. Yes, they left at different times. There was a bit of confusion, and I'm not 100% sure on how it turned out, but I'll post the whole story tomorrow. Either way, they're both out of the shelter!
Beans has also been adopted, and here he is in his new home...which also happens to be my living room (note the foster hamster above him, ha!). You know, I said one rabbit was enough, but apparently I was lying.
How could I resist this poor old boy? We'd been thinking about it for a few weeks, then last week we brought Alice in as the ultimate test. If they couldn't get along, Beans would have to find another home.

I don't know what we were thinking. Alice gets along with everyone. So a few days ago, we packed Beans up and brought him home. And I mean home - from the minute we let him out of the carrier, he acted like he'd always lived here. He is perfectly comfortable in the apartment, jumping onto the couch to say hi, sprawling on Alice's bed, nudging up to us for a cuddle.
I'll have to post a more detailed update after the adopt-a-thon is over, but I'll say right now that he settled in much faster than Alice did. He already acts like he owns the place!
And finally - the adopt-a-thon! We'll be at Kennel Cafe (295 Roncesvalles Ave) this weekend, from 10-6 on Saturday and 11-5 on Sunday. For small animals, we're taking Cat, Pepper, Rusta and Butterscotch (my last foster, the girls' brother). These things are fantastic for cats (there will be a LOT of kittens, including Guthrie up there) and dogs, but not always as effective for small animals. Either way, it should be fun! Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Congratulations on such a successful adopt-a-thon!